Monday, October 06, 2008

WHL Alumni Spotlight – Steve DaSilva


By Jesse Watts - whl.ca

Steve DaSilva scored plenty of big goals during his four-year Western Hockey League career with the Kootenay Ice. Now, the 21-year-old from Saskatoon, SK, is doing the same at the Canadian Interuniversity Sport level as a rookie with the University of Saskatchewan Huskies.

DaSilva, a 6’0”, 189-lb forward, enrolled at the U of S after completing his WHL career with Kootenay at the conclusion of the 2007-08 WHL season. Despite an invite to the San Jose Sharks NHL training camp in September, DaSilva elected to, instead, use the WHL Scholarship he earned to begin his studies at university and join the Huskies.

A prolific scorer during his WHL career, DaSilva racked up 78 goals and 181 points in 139 games over his final two WHL campaigns with the Ice, and was named to the WHL Eastern Conference First All-Star team in both seasons.

So far, DaSilva has managed to bring this offensive game to the Huskies, netting two goals and five points through the team’s first four Conference games and helping them to a 3-1 record in Canada West Conference play.

One of 26 WHL grads on the Huskies’ roster, DaSilva will play a big role as the team looks to compete for a Canada West title and a spot in the 2009 University Cup tournament.

Catching Up With…Steve DaSilva

On going back to school…
“It’s been really good. It’s a tough transition, though, because you have to learn to be responsible with your time and balance school, homework and hockey. Once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty easy. We practice every day, I have classes during the day and I spend most of my nights doing homework, so you don’t have a lot of free time. I’m taking some Arts & Sciences classes, and maybe looking to get into Kinesiology, but right now I’m just taking a variety of classes. It’s a different lifestyle, but I like it.”

On his first few weeks with the Huskies…
“It’s awesome. Everyone always told me how great the hockey is in the CIS, but you don’t realize how competitive it is until you get here. You’re playing against guys that are older – they’re men – and it’s a tough transition. Once you get a few games in, and get used to it, it’s a lot of fun.”

On his transition to the CIS…
“I’ve fit in pretty well, so far. I’ve been playing with (WHL grads) Casey Lee and Steven Gillen, and they’ve helped me out a lot, so far, because they’re bona fide All-Stars. It’s been a struggle, at times, but I think I’m getting comfortable with how I’m playing, and settling in nicely.”

On playing with so many fellow WHL graduates…
“All the guys on my team I’ve either played against or played with before in the WHL, so it’s nice knowing a bit about who you’re playing with. They know what it’s like coming from the WHL to the CIS, so they can help you along if there are any problems. All the guys know what it takes to compete in the CIS and are proven players at other levels.”

On the WHL Scholarship program…
“It’s unbelievable that the WHL can offer something like that to players. To be able to have played four years of hockey in the WHL, and enjoy my time the way I did was amazing. Then, to be able to get a free education and continue playing hockey at a very high level is something not many people get. I think we’re really blessed to have such a great opportunity, and we can all thank (Ed) Chynoweth for helping make it happen.”